I’m very lucky to live in Hampshire.
I moved down from Leeds in the early part of the last decade and I’m now happy to call it home. This is a big admission for a ‘Mackem’ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackem who when making university choices selected Birmingham (the mostly southerly of my uni choices) as fifth choice because the south and southerners wasn’t an option!
Not only do I have to pinch myself every day that we live in the middle of a national park and the girls can scoot to school, waving at the cows and sheep en route, but I am also surrounded by great educationalists, who, like Aretha once said, ‘are doing itself for themselves’.
CPD for me over the last 4 ½ years has become increasingly my responsibility and something I look forward to planning and doing. This wasn’t always the case. In the early part of my career in my first few schools I didn’t really enjoy my continued professional learning. In fact, it normally involved looking forward to the obligatory pre INSET day staff night out, followed by a day in school without the need to wear a tie. CPD was done to me.
This changed gently when I moved to Hampshire. HIAS http://www3.hants.gov.uk/education/hias.htm led CPD had a more action research based feel to it. I was encouraged to work in small groups, read again, observe colleagues in a non – threatening environment, ask the students for their views and present the findings of my work at the end of the year (thanks Mrs S and Mrs R for showing me how collaborative learning works). This is a way of learning I have encouraged in each of my subsequent schools.
As well as enjoying the countryside I am also lucky enough to live near to Portsmouth and Southampton which has hosted a number of CPD activities which I have attended over the last four (ish) years. My first teachmeet took place at St. Mary’s Stadium and was a cross phase affair. I’m not sure who organised it but a big thank you for setting me off in the right direction. On reflection a very impressive teachmeet which captured my imagination. I have also enjoyed the variety of offerings served up by David Rogers (@davidErogers) and Jo Debens (@GeoDebs) at #TMPompey. So much so I was inspired to get involved with organising #TMIOW with Rebecca Higgs (@MissRHiggs) and #TMconnectED with Naomi Ward (@naomi7444). A presenter at #TMIOW wowed me so much I also ventured back to Southampton to #TMSoton to see Rachel Jones (@rlj1981). She is the reason I’m sitting down in front of this computer today. Thank you. Most recently I have attended #TMBohunt thank you Nigel Wright (@njw499) and started give up my weekends to attended PedagooSW, PedagooLondon and #TLT13 thanks to all involved in creating learning events which far exceed some of the events delivered by (professional!) other providers which can cost above £350 + vat as well as cover costs whilst taking me away from my school during the working week.
So what does my CPD plan look like for this year?
- I am looking forward to attending my first teachmeet hosted at a FE college. I hope more colleagues in Hampshire will follow in the footsteps of Nikki Gillbey (@gillersn) 21.10.14 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kfW0202t0EG_kmsXe-S92SCdRamxiUjla6_JFg-G9PY/viewform?usp=send_form
- #TMPompey is a regular slot in my diary – 16th Oct http://teachmeet.pbworks.com/w/page/62715346/TMPompey
- I know Danielle Kohlmand (@kohlmand) has plans for #TMReading
- #TMBohunt2 is also in the planning phase for next term
- Planning with Naomi (@naomi7444) for #TMconnectED continues and on the 30th of Oct there will be a mini teachmeet walk followed up with another #TMconnectED on November 25th
- Rachel Jones (@rlj1981) is running a digital leaders event for students http://kidsmeet.pbworks.com/w/page/79922906/Digital%20Leaders%20Conference%202014 (5th Nov) which will help develop our student involvement and BYOD policies and practice.
- I was lucky enough to get a ticket for what I am sure will be the excellent #TLT14 http://edssential.co.uk/tlt14-university-of-southampton-181014/ (18.10.14) and I hope to be involved in planning a follow-up tea party with David (@davidfawcett27), Jen (@MissJLud) and Naomi (@naomi7444) as well as attending a few myself.
- I will also be taking advantage of our excellent rail network in Hampshire and will let the train take the strain to get me to researchED in London 6.9.14 http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/researched-2014-4053506303, any pedagoo event http://www.pedagoo.org/events/ in a 3hr radius and this year I will take a trip to Northern Rocks (@NRocks2014) 13.6.15 http://northernrocks2014.wordpress.com/
I am sure term 2 and term 3 will also fill up with teachmeet style events and hopefully this year I will be involved in a summer festival event in Hampshire which will bring together the best educators to share what we do well.
If I’m lucky anyway!